The Dover Area High School Geospatial Technology Program (located in York County, Pennsylvania) is one of the high schools that is using our free curriculum found at geoworkshops.org to teach their high school students geospatial technology. Chuck Benton is their teacher and also in charge of the program. One thing that is very cool is that these stduents are actively working in the community. Chuck has 6 seniors out on GIS internships and this is what they are doing this semester.
1.Jacob Trimmer is interning at York County Planning Commission in the transportation department. Jacob is working on location of all the bridges in York County. When Jacob is not interning at YCPC he is interning at Dover Area School District Transportation department working on all the new elementary boundary lines. Jacob is working with Will Clark at the YCPC.
2. Travis Browning is interning at York County Planning Commission in the Transportation department. Travis is working on digitizing all new development sidewalks in York County. He is also working with Will Clark from the YCPC. Travis internship is for 15 hrs. a week.
3. Drew Hufnagle is interning at York County Planning Commission with their Chief information systems staff person Wade Gobrecht. Drew is working on a verity of different project that need to be done in timely fashion.
4. Mathew Ferry is interning at York County Control 911. Matt is working on mapping all fire hydrants in York county and also fixing existing fire box maps for the entire county. Matt is working with Kim Holtzapple.
5. Tyler Zerbe is interning at Dover Twp GIS Department. Tyler is working currently working on a Chapter 94 project that entails mapping all sewer lines that have been fixed in the township in the past year. Tyler is working with Nathan Stone.
6. Brandon Smith is interning with DCNR at Gifford Pinchot State Park. Brandon is locating and providing GPS points on all nesting boxes in the park. He is also doing the same thing with all the park benches. Brandon is working with Bob Deffner and George Facer. George is the Park Manager/ Program Specialist - GIS specialist for DCNR. Bob is the Park Manager at Gifford Pinchot state park.