Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Pot Luck Projects

Currently, the GIS team is enjoying the pleasure of working with the Department of Health and Mental Hygiene on a project that will help the government visualize the relationship between patients and travel distance to Federally Qualified Health Center (FQHC) locations. The project consists of gathering information that will allow the lab to create visual maps of this relationship. Such maps greatly help the individual FQHC’s evaluate which areas are medically underrepresented and which region would be ideal to place a new FQHC.

GIS, Public Health, and Ultimate Goals

By: Smaa Koraym ‘12

This project has expanded the horizon of the WAC GIS team. Having the opportunity to work on such a project is particularly important to me because it touches on my career path, public health. Furthermore, I will have the chance to understand the governmental aspect of how to run an organized health care system. My interest in such knowledge and skill is rooted from my goal to implement a clean, organized health care system in many underdeveloped countries, especially in my home country of Egypt.

No comments:

Post a Comment